It has been a while since my last post, my apologies for that. I haven’t been idle though. In the coming months I hope to be able to show some of the models I designed for my customers in the past months. But let me start by introducing the model I have been working on for the past year. Here is my replica of the F14A Tomcat in LEGO Technic:
The Tomcat is an incredible plane, and I tried to pack my version as dense as possible with the features the real plane has as well:
Driven by one M-motor and using a manual gearbox the following functions are electrified:
– The engine turbines (directly coupled to the M-motor)
– The rotating Gatling gun on the port side
– A small pneumatic pump
– The canopy
– The landing gear
– The eight landing gear bay doors
– The adjustable main wings (in the photo below they are moved out, in the photo above they are swept back)
Next to that there are six pneumatic valves controlling the following functions:
– Switch between the internal small vacuum pump and the external large vacuum pump
– The bleed doors in the air-intakes of the engines
– The delta wings at the side of the air-intakes
– The arresting hook
– The front and rear flaps on the main wings
– The two air brakes on the main wings and the three air brakes at the end of the fuselage
The plane also features a couple of manual functions:
– A knob to control the pitch of the aircraft. The rear horizontal wings and the joystick are controlled with this knob.
– A knob to control the roll & jaw of the aircraft. The rear horizontal wing, the vertical control surfaces and the joystick are controlled with this knob. If the landing gear is down, the front landing gear is steered with this knob as well. A special differential control mechanism is used to combine both pitch and roll control and feed only one signal to each wing.
– The nacelles that contain the turbo engines can be opened and the engines can be taken out.
– A double lever to activate the ejection seats. The canopy is ejected at the same time as well.
And finally some fun facts:
The model weighs around 4 kilograms and is just shy of 4000 parts
It is 87 cm long, 101 / 66 cm wide (main wings open / swept back) and 33.5 cm high when put on its stand
It has ten small pneumatic cylinders and nine shock absorbers
It has 549 axles, 110 gears and 111 panels
Most of the functions are color coded so that you can distinguish them during the building process
Contrary to my earlier models I will not just sell building instructions of this model. Instead I will offer this model as an limited edition set. That means that if you buy this model you will get all the parts needed to build this exclusive set, neatly sorted and packed in a high quality German storage box system together with the building instructions.
I will offer at most 200 of these sets and they will only be available in 2018. Each of them will be numbered and have a certificate of authenticity signed by me. The set is no longer available.